We are extremely fortunate to have the help and dedication of a wonderful team of volunteers. They give their time and effort to support The Bays vision, and enrich our patients’ experience. Our volunteers are from all areas of life and of all ages. They are a valuable part of our team.
We currently have around 180 volunteers who assist us at our hospital in Mornington and aged care in Hastings. Volunteers participate in areas such as administration, patient liaison and companionship, diversional therapies, the gift shop, in the garden, and with flower and trolley services. To date our volunteers contribute over 9000 hours annually.
Family and community connections, a desire to stay active and engaged, and a willingness to contribute to the health and vitality of the community drives our volunteers. As The Bays continues to grow, so does our volunteer program and the number of volunteers we engage.
It’s the volunteers that make The Bays such a special place. They bring the community into the wards and corridors. We are truly appreciative of their efforts and welcome their involvement as part of our team.
The benefits of volunteering
Volunteering is a wonderful way to get involved in your community or contribute to a cause you’re passionate about. It can also be a chance to make new friends, learn new skills, gain experience or share your expertise.
Volunteering plays a critical role in empowering individuals, in fostering active citizenship and in building inclusive and resilient communities. Volunteering has many benefits for the individuals who volunteer, the organisations to which they contribute, and society as a whole.
Our volunteers help us in the following roles.
- Patient liaison officer – escorts patients to and from our Day Surgery
- Concierge service – assists visitors finding their way around our hospital
- Patient transport service – drive patients to and from our hospital
- Flowers – refreshing flowers in patient rooms
- Gift shop – sales assistance
- Administration duties
- Day surgery unit – administration duties
- Newspaper and trolley duties – selling newspapers, magazines and gifts to patients in the wards
- Gardening – light gardening duties like weeding, pruning, planting and general maintenance of the grounds
- Knitters – produce donated items such as beanies for newborns
- Community ambassadors – assisting with fundraising, events and promotional activities of The Bays
- Focus group – providing feedback regarding organisational and health ideas, items, content and assisting with surveys
- Patient companionship – providing comfort and care to patients in hospital
- Relievers – volunteers relieving shifts if someone is unwell or unavailable
- Resident companionship
- Diversional therapies
- Leisure activities
- Group activities
- Pink Ladies
- Volunteer Café Attendant
- Patient visits
Before you begin
All our volunteers must complete:
- our volunteer application
- all required forms including a Police Check and Working with Children
- all mandatory volunteer orientation and training
- role and site induction and training
To help and support our volunteers in their roles, our volunteer coordinator, staff and volunteer ‘buddies’ are always available.
Volunteer Applications are currently closed and will re-open early 2021.
You can register your interest now and we’ll send you a reminder when recruitment is open. Register your interest