Dr Alex Hodge
MBBS (hons), BSc, PhD, FRACP
Gastroenterologist / Hepatologist
Dr Hodge’s clinical expertise includes management of gastrointestinal diseases including inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome and endoscopy. He has a special interest in all diseases of the liver, in particular, fatty liver disease.
Dr Hodge commenced private practice in Rosebud in 2011 and The Bays Hospital in February 2016.
Dr Hodge is originally from Vancouver Canada where he worked as a molecular biologist. After moving to Australia in 2000 he graduated with honours in medicine from the University of Sydney and completed his Gastroenterology specialist training between Canberra and Melbourne at The Alfred hospital. In early 2015 he completed a PhD at Monash University focusing on stem cell therapy for liver cirrhosis and lifestyle modification for fatty liver (NAFLD).
Dr Hodge is a consultant at Monash Health where he attends gastroenterology and hepatology clinics, performs endoscopy and Fibroscan (liver fibrosis imaging). He is a lecturer at Monash University and was awarded the inaugural Monash University’s clinical school Early Career Practitioner Fellowship in 2015 to continue his research in the field of fibrosis and fatty liver disease.
- Endoscopy: gastroscopy and colonoscopy, capsule endoscopy, PEG placement
- Liver disease
- Luminal disease: including inflammatory bowel disease, microscopic colitis, coeliac disease, functional disorders and oesophoged motility
- Liver fibrosis and fat assessment
- Esophaged studies for reflux and motility, pHj impedence and monomers
- PhD 2015
- FRACP 2010
- MBBS (hons) 2003
- BSc 1997
Public Hospital Appointments
- Southern clinical school, early career practitioner fellow 2015 (current)
- Consultant, Monash Health 2014 (current)
- Lecturer, Medicine, Monash University 2014 (current)
Frankston Gastrointestinal and Liver Specialists, 5 Susono Way, Frankston
Phone: 03 9781 6990